In the early part of each year, actors await the announcements of the Oscar nominations. It’s the ‘Oscar buzz’, a major event for Hollywood actors, directors, producers and the behind-the-scene greats await to hear their destiny in Oscar World. Although, it’s exciting for the famous, there are the infamous who have been overlooked for an Oscar nomination for their superior daily performances.
While the famous are being praised and rewarded for their false acts, some are not receiving the recognition for their stand up performances of everyday life. Who says you need acting classes or an acting coach? We display our talents through everyday life while others pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to learn, enhance a craft or talent that most of us have mastered through life's experiences. As actors spend their days running from paparazzi; we are avoiding debt collectors. We laugh, smile, and help someone in need, while we’re experiencing hardship in our personal lives. That’s pretty good acting! In fact, it costs absolutely nothing. It’s the acting abilities that so many of us have encountered - by no means deliberate.
The Great Actors Within
From the financial stress of high debt, low savings and insufficient income; to the emotional roller coaster and the mental distress we encounter daily, it’s no wonder the depression and suicide rates are at its all-time high. These days, it’s difficult to identify the sufferers. We perform our greatest acts by showing a different side outwardly than what we are truly experiencing inwardly. The person you sit next to every day at work that smiles or laughs with you could be the same person going through financial strain behind closed doors and is in danger of losing his car or home. Or the unfriendly cashier at the grocery store who gave you an attitude when you asked her to check an item that did not scan on sale, could be a single mother who is extremely tired from working two jobs to pay her bills and feed her children. It is inevitable what so many people may be facing today. Nonetheless, these are the same people we interact with every day who could be dealing with hard times in their lives but are great actors in hiding what they are truly experiencing. For those of us who experience someone who may be unpleasant, keep this in mind:
· Be patient and know that there is a reason why someone is mistreating you and it has nothing to do with you. Hurt people; hurt others.
· Embrace them with love. This could be someone who is not used to receiving love and does not know how to give it.
· Do not allow their actions or behavior influence you. Sometimes, our response can make a world of difference. People who are negative and express negative behavior expect to receive negative results. Prove them wrong and react in an opposite manner. Respond with grace and humility.
It’s easier said than done: Letting go of the past
If the current events aren’t enough, so many of us are struggling with letting go of our past. The past is the cause of numerous lost and broken people walking around today. If that’s not enough, the past causes a lot of hindrances in our lives too. It robs us from the endless possibilities of pursuing our goals and living our dreams. There are many culprits of hindrances that keep us from moving forward and living our dreams such as unforgiveness, bitterness, loneliness, discouragement, emotional distress, low self-confidence and low self-esteem - to name a few. It steals our chance of fulfillment, joy and happiness in this world. Living with these hindrances may cause us to block our blessings. Understandably, some people would like to seek help and do not know where to start or go to seek the assistance. We need not only the guidance in pointing us in the right direction, but we also need the assurance that seeking help will benefit our lives. We have become accustomed to believing that things in life will not get better and opt for living a mediocre life. We’ve built patterns in withholding emotions and feelings that are affecting our happiness and well-being. In essence, our lives are in constant replay as if we’re watching re-runs from an old syndicate show. Instead, it’s our life being displayed in rewind. We choose this lifestyle because it’s all we’ve grown to know. It’s a familiar path we take in life that makes us feel more comfortable with ourselves.
But we can choose to live differently. It is time to take a stand for yourself and live the life you were meant to live. A life that is unimaginable and beyond your wildest dreams! You have to start somewhere. And starting with the emotional healing process and finding your inner peace is a great way to start. The healing process is indicative to a peaceful present and a better future. So, it’s important to research all of the resources available:
· Books – there are tons of books that focus on emotional and mental healing. Conduct a search on the internet or your local library to determine the right book for you.
· Internet – the internet provides a ton of information on the topic of emotional healing and letting go of the past. There are websites and other resources provided on the internet that will guide us and get us started.
· Counseling – the thought of counseling makes a lot of people nervous. I used to cringe at the thought of talking to someone about my darkest moments in my childhood. But I overcame that fear and sought counseling through my church. It was the best decision I’d ever made and I’m grateful that I did. Seeking counseling through a therapist, local church or community centers, it will serve you a great deal emotionally, mentally and physically.
Be open-minded to one of the options mentioned in seeking the help needed to overcome the barriers from your past. You will be thankful that you did. You all deserve a better present and future.
Stay Encouraged and Be Blessed!